"I was very Pleased..."

OTTOLINE'S choice to marry seems to ME  a bit -As if doing the inevitable- with someone- this someone being Philip Morrell. She chose well.
& IT WAS TIME.


1901 brought about a meeting with & the reticent courtship of Philip Morrell & By the close of the year - the same reaction from Ottoline-the reticent acceptance. No doubt  the pair were fond of each other-likely the arrangement was ideal for Ottoline, this was a woman destined to FALL in & OUT & IN & out of LOVE many many times in her LIFE. She actually needed the stability of a real friend, a companion -someone she had great affection for and she found it in PHILIP. While the pair were parting at Euston station for the holidays, Philip gave Ottoline a bouquet of Lily of the Valley.  I think this might have just cinched it for Mr. Morrell.

 
 I was very pleased with a lovely Bunch of Lilies of the Valley that he brought to the station, and treasure it all the days that I was a t Welbeck. My old friend Mildred de Lotbiniere travelled down with me in the train, and we discussed the situation. I have a vivid impression of OUR talk, she and I sitting side by side in the railway carriage and the bunch of Lilies between US, larger in importance than in Size. She was on  the whole favourably impressed, and at this I felt disturbed and distracted and undecided, but yet with A Happy Feeling underneath of close companionship and LOVE.

In the Language of FLOWERS-something very much spoken in Ottoline's Day, the Lily of the Valley represents  the Return of happiness and A purity of heart.  The sentiment says You've made my LIFE complete. The Legend of the Lily of the Valley claims it is the Flower that sprang from Eve's tears when she was banished from the Garden of Eden.

 What lady wouldn't be carried away?

On her return to London though Ottoline was not well- 
I lay tossing in bed undecided what to answer. At last i made the plunge and wired to him to
'COME BACK.'

The answer came that he was returning at once.

On February 8th 1902, at St. Peter's Eaton Square. The Bentincks drew a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment